Reverse Engineered Object - Progress II

Reverse Engineered Object - Progress 2

March 11th, 2024


This week, I continued to make progress on modelling my Safety Pin Earring. I'm happy with my progress so far.


Some problems I've run into this week:

  • Not too many issues I've come across this week, I just am finding it time consuming to line up my objects. The safety pin uses the pipe tool, so I can't easily just snap the beads to the center. The safety pin is also not a straight wire that the beads are fed onto, it's a bit curved so it just has taken a lot of focus and a close eye to align them. 
  • Still don't quite know how to make the end of the safety pin but will experiment more with it this coming week. 
  • Closed curves! Some of the more complicated objects have a lot of polylines involved and are sometimes not fully connected or maybe didn't snap together, so when I try to extrude a surface or join something, I get error messages. I think I just need to pay more attention so I don't run into any more issues.

Earring Hook:

I had pretty much all of the surface geometry last week, so this week I worked to add the spring and the sphere that go through the wire. I also started experimenting with materials a bit this week and settles on a platinum metal for this part of the earring. 










Earring Back:

This was already pretty much fully modelled last week, I just added a transparent plastic as the material. 









Safety Pin: 

I completed the spring and wire element of the safety pin this week, which actually proved to be more difficult than I was expecting. I have been putting off the more complex end of the safety pin (the part circled in red) because I feel like it's going to be a pain to model but I'm on it this week. 










Beads/Letters:

For some reason I was trying to use the "Shell" command to create a hole in these beads when the "MakeHole" tool is actually what I should have been using. Once I figured that out, the process went a whole lot smoother. 

I spent a lot of time on the letters this week. Once I drew the letters, I extruded them on top of the bead and used BooleanDifference to make the letters indent into the bead. After that, I added an offset border inside the betters so I could line them with black plastic (I might switch this to different colours this week just for fun). I had completed all five beads, but when I looked at them simultaneously, I realized that two of the letters were a completely different size compared to the others, so I had to those ones start over. 

















This is where the full object is at so far:






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reverse Engineered Object: Progress I

Reverse Engineered Object: HD Renders and Exploded View

2. Surface Design Study