Reverse Engineered Object: Selection

Reverse Engineered Object: Selection

February 25th, 2024


1. Safety Pin Earring: I chose this one because I think it's more playful and personal than the next two I selected. I think I could get very accurate measurements and it would still be a challenge for me to model. I also selected this object because in learning how to model the earring back and the clasp and the more structural parts of the earring, perhaps in the future I can use that design to make/3D print earrings of another variety. Both the earring hook and the safety pin feature some spiral elements that I look forward to experimenting with because I honestly have no idea how to approach that. 



<< full object view

<< deconstructed view



2. Tape Measure: This one has a lot of components. Between the screws, the outside of the tape measure and the measuring tape itself, I would have a lot of opportunities to experiment and troubleshoot how to model this. The outside of the tape measure looks intricate on both sides and features a lot of circles, which is a shape I tend to have an easier time modelling. I also chose this one because it is a small object and I would not have to worry about the model not fitting on the grid in Rhino.

 


<< full object view

<< deconstructed view


3. Puffer: This is a really old, really expired puffer that I probably got like 10 years ago. If I were to model it I would 100% take the labels off. I chose this as one of my three possible objects because I think it has some cool organic shapes that could be interesting to design. It has a lot of details on the back, like little line cutouts and rounded edges. While I write this though, I'm thinking that I might pass on this one because I think it would be really difficult to measure the mechanism inside where the air canister connects to the outer tube. It is very small and I know I would not be able to get accurate measurements. I think this is probably the simplest of the three objects I chose and I might like a bit more of a challenge.


<< full object view

<< deconstructed view


I think I have settled on designing the safety pin earring for this project. It could also be fun to change the colour of the beads or the letters just to spice it up a bit and add a bit more personality too it. Plus, this is definitely a more personal object (I mean, it literally has my name on it.) so I am a bit more drawn to want to recreate it. 





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reverse Engineered Object: Progress I

Reverse Engineered Object: HD Renders and Exploded View

2. Surface Design Study