1. Castle

Assignment One: Castle

January 22nd, 2024


For the first project in this class, I was assigned the task of building a castle in Rhino. When I began constructing my castle, I initially had the thought of making a Tangled-style tower, but when I was done with that it just didn't scream 'castle' to me, so I made two additional towers and connected them to a house-like shape to make it more grand.


Tools and Processes Used:

  • I worked with a classmate and we found out how to use the ‘makehole’ tool so that I could create a door. I have far from perfected it though, as I tried to make windows in the towers and it did not work.
  • For my towers, I used the circle command and tool a lot of times to create the basic structure of the tower in top view, then used the extrude tool to expand it.
  • My favourite tool so far is the loft tool. The bases of all of the towers that I created were lofted to add some extra dimension.
  • I used the cap tool to cap off all of my towers. I added sharp little posts on top of most of my structures that needed to be capped.
  • Before rendering my castle, I added an array of grey plastic as the colour, as well and some brick-like texture on the towers. I also altered the sunlight setting to create a bit less glare.
  • Gumball proved to be very helpful when extruding, scaling, and moving all of my towers into place.
  • I used O-snaps to create my lofted structures, so that the shapes were symmetrical and properly entered  prior to lofting (ex. smaller circle snapped to the middle of a bigger circle and raised before lofting into a cone).


Successes: I actually was surprised how quick I was able to learn some of the shortcuts, so that was definitely a success. I really liked how my castle turned out. I didn't have a hard time with creating and intersecting shapes, I found the o-snaps very helpful. 


Challenges: An issue I had was accurately moving objects. I created these towers in my castle which were comprised of six or seven different shapes. In top view, it just became so complicated as I kept adding things to my castle, that it was hard to select just the elements of the tower itself to move, rather than a bunch of other shapes around it. I’m wondering if there’s a group tool to keep specific shapes together always without having to manually select all of them. Probably the biggest challenge was that I did find myself getting a bit frustrated with the software, just because I’m new to it. I’m sure this will improve, but for the moment it’s a definitely a struggle. 



<< rendered castle

<< perspective view

<< top view

<< front view

<< shaded view

<< render settings



Thanks for reading my blog post! See you in the next one :)

Maddy Birns



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reverse Engineered Object: Progress I

Reverse Engineered Object: HD Renders and Exploded View

2. Surface Design Study